Washington, DC, December 23, 2014 (SSNA) — The government of the United States has on Tuesday issued a presidential proclamation, removing the Republic of South Sudan from its trade benefits program, Reuters News Agency reported.
The presidential proclamation did not mention any reason as to why the US chooses to drop South Sudan from its duty-free trade program.
The move, which is set to take effect on January 1, 2015, comes more than a year after fighting erupted in Juba in Mid-December last year.
It is unclear what triggers the latest move by the main backer of the young nation.
However, the US has in the past issued threats of economic sanctions against individuals who stand in the way of the ongoing peace talks in the Ethiopian capital, Addis Ababa.
The United States also said it will support looming sanctions against South Sudan currently under development by the United Nations Security Council (UNSC).
Earlier this month, U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations (UN), Samantha Power, met face-to-face with South Sudanese Foreign Minister Dr. Barnaba Marial Benjamin and told him that Washington is ready to support UN mandated sanctions against Juba.