Juba, November 25, 2015 (SSNA) — South Sudanese government has launched an aerial campaign on rebel positions in Mundri County of Western Equatoria State, a Spokesperson for the armed opposition has said.
James Gatdet Dak, the Spokesman for the leadership of the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement/Army-In Opposition (SPLM/A-IO) has released a statement saying Juba has on Tuesday carried out aerial attack on a SPLA-IO’s designated area in Mundri.
“The regime in Juba on Tuesday unleashed helicopter gunships and attacked our designated cantonment area in Mundri County, Western Equatoria State,” Gatdet said.
The rebel Spokesman says the attack violates the IGAD-Plus brokered peace agreement and that Salva kiir is not serious about the peace deal.
“The action is a violation of the ceasefire deal and the security arrangements signed by the two parties (GRSS and SPLA-IO). The attack on the cantonment area is an indication that president Kiir’s government is not committed to the implementation of the peace agreement,” he asserted.
There have been many violence encounters between government forces and citizens of the Western Equatoria State over the past few years.
Charles Barnaba Kisanga, who declared his rebellion against the government on Tuesday, hails from Western Equatoria State. Kisanga also accused Kiir’s government of systematic killings of citizens of his home state.
Since last week, a wild rumor that the entire Equatoria region will soon turn against Kiir’s government has been the main talk in Juba. The speculation prompts the government to deploy troops in and around Equatoria region.