Juba/New York, February 23, 2016 (SSNA) — The United Nations Security Council (UNSC) has condemned last week killing of civilians by armed soldiers inside a UN-run camp in Malakal and called on the government of South Sudan to launch an investigation with the help of UNMISS to bring those who carried out the attack to justice.
“[Members of the UN Security Council] called on the Government of South Sudan to swiftly investigate this attack, with the assistance of UNMISS, and bring the perpetrators to justice,” a statement released by UNSC President Rafael Darío Ramírez Carreño of Venezuela said.
In the document, the 15-member world body says it is disturbed by credible reports that those who attacked IDPs were in South Sudanese government military uniforms.
“The members of the Security Council were particularly alarmed by credible reports of armed men in Sudan People’s Liberation Army (SPLA) uniforms entering the United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) camp and firing on civilians, and the looting and burning of tents,” the statement added.
The deadly violence left at least 18 people dead, including 2 humanitarian workers. The incident also destroyed 2 medical clinics inside the camp.
Last Friday, the SPLA-IO condemned the killing, saying the attack was “tribally motivated and well-planned and that it has “indisputable evidence” which link Upper Nile State’s Governor, Chol Thon, to the killing. The armed opposition also accused UNMISS of burying its head in the sand while civilians were being slaughtered by government soldiers.