Juba, January 2, 2021 (SSNA) — A new report by the Associated Press (AP has found that close to 1 million South Sudanese have been displaced by months of flooding. The AP based its report on discussions with local people in Jonglei State’s Old Fangak County.
The AP’s report concludes that the 2020 flood “is the worst in the recent memory” and that people walked hours in deep water to reach safety and where they can find food and medical services.
“We don’t have food here; we rely only on UN humanitarian agencies or by collecting firewood and selling it. My children get sick because of the floodwaters, and there is no medical service in this place,” Regina Nyakol Piny, another of 9 children was quoted by the AP as saying.
Nyaduoth Kun, a resident of Old Fangak and mother of five children also spoke to the Associated Press and wondered if Coronavirus or other diseases are to be blamed for the death of many South Sudanese.
“Many diseases are living among us, so we can’t figure out if it’s coronavirus or not,” Nyaduoth said.
A government official who goes by the name Kueth Gach Monydhot appears to have enough based on his talks with the AP.
“We don’t have hope, we lost confidence in them,” he said.
South Sudan’s transitional government was formed in February last year after President Kiir and SPLM/A-IO leader agreed to run the country based on the East African regional bloc, IGAD, managed a revitalized peace agreement. The agreement gives the two leaders to run the country for three years before a national election can be conducted.